Health Insurance

Students under 28 must have a French Student Health Insurance policy. It comes with your EHESS student ID. It costs 215 € for the French academic year – September1st - August31.

To obtain your social security number in France, you must first register. 

Students above 28  must enroll with a private insurance company.

What does the Health Insurance Cover?

The French student health insurance policy will cover your medical needs up to 70 % throughout Europe but NOT in the USA. You may enroll in a “mutuelle” 8 € - 30 € per month if you want higher coverage.

It also does not cover the cost of psychological therapy.

Since you will not receive the national insurance card “Carte vitale” before the end of the program, you will have to pay for your medications and doctor's visits. You will then be reimbursed. The cost of a doctor’s visit is likely to be anywhere from 23€ to 50€.

What is a French Social Security number?

In France, everyone receives a 13-digit number at birth that one is required to have to take school exams, to work, and for overall well being. It permits individuals to be covered under the public health system. This number is also the one you will need to be reimbursed for any medical fees during your stay. 

How do you obtain your social security number?

You must register by sending the following required documents to:
LMDE Assurance Maladie
5070 Rennes cedex 09

  1. Proof of choice LMDE as social security provider (comes with your EHESS student card)
  2. Birth certificate with an apostille.
  3. Copy of passport, visa, and copy of OFII vignette

The registration period takes about a month.

Once you receive your Social Security number, you must create an account on the Social Security server Ameli

Or with the following link:

You must download an RIB and a “déclaration de médecin traitant”